- Medical and Health
- Special Report
- RSS Feed
Toxicologists at the General Department of Criminal Evidences of the Dubai Police have warned against people sleeping in cars with the AC on.
Experts said toxic gases emitted from the engine like carbon monoxide could enter the vehicle through the AC vents and lead to suffocation.
They affirmed that it could happen in parked vehicles, both new and old though the chances are more when the car is old and the fuel is not combusted properly due to an ineffective engine, and lack of sufficient ventilation. Toxic gases emitted from the parked car could get drawn in through the AC duct and lead to suffocation.
Lt-Colonel Khaled Al Sumeiti, senior chemical expert, clarified that inhaling toxic gases containing carbon monoxide is considered the major cause of asphyxiation.
Al Sumeiti added that asphyxiation cases happen not only in vehicles but even at homes and labour accommodation where power generators are used.
Buildings under construction are at great risk of being exposed to carbon monoxide (CO1), the ‘silent killer’, especially when power generators are placed in areas where there is no ventilation.
People fall victim to toxic gases when they fail to stick to the instructions and are ignorant of the health hazards.
Al Sumeiti added that CO1 can harm the lungs.
The symptoms after inhaling CO1 are headache, dizziness, nausea, drop in blood pressure, imbalance while walking, convulsion, unconsciousness, respiratory arrest and death, said the expert.