- Medical and Health
- Special Report
- RSS Feed
NEW DELHI: Several Muslim MPs, including three from Congress led by former deputy chairman of Rajya Sabha K Rahman Khan, today expressed loss of confidence in the Congress government in Assam demanding central intervention to end the violence between Bodos and Muslim immigrants there.
The MPs, who met home minister P Chidambaram on Thursday, had also submitted a memorandum to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Wednesday seeking effective steps to control the situation in Assam.
"There is failure somewhere. We have lost confidence in state government's ability to control violence and demanded central intervention," Khan, a senior parliamentarian of Congress, told reporters after meeting Chidambaram.
The Muslim MPs, who met the home minister, included K Rahman Khan, Asrarul Haque Ashk Ali Tak (all three Congress), NCP's Tariq Anwar, Sabir Ali (JD(U)), Mohammed Adeeb and Ahmed Saeed Malihabadi (Independent).
They said they have "never seen such kind of ethnic violence in India". "The situation is very tense and something has to be done urgently. The state government has not been able to control the situation. We have asked for central intervention," Khan said. The former deputy chairman of Rajya Sabha alleged it was an ethnic clash where a large number of Muslims were killed. "The MPs also stated that they have no faith in the state government as it has totally failed in its duties to maintain the law and order," a press release from Khan's office said.
Centre warns warring groups
Meanwhile, with clashes between Bodo tribespeople and Muslim immigrants continuing in Assam, the government today warned that the leaders of both Bodo and Muslim communities will be held responsible if any side is found to be instigating violence that has resulted in loss of 44 lives so far.
"The Centre and the state government are both clear that any violence on any side that is instigated and that results in loss of life, the leaders on both sides shall be made responsible," Union home secretary RK Singh told reporters here.
The warning bears significance as clashes between Bodos and Muslim immigrants in four Assam districts continued for the seventh day on Thursday leaving 44 people dead so far. Singh, however, said the situation was better as no incident was been reported during the day. Home minister P Chidambaram too said there was no casualty in the past 24 hours.
He said chief minister Tarun Gogoi will brief him after his visit to the riot affected areas. The home secretary said the prime objective of the government was to provide help and assistance to the affected people who were in camps. He said approximately 1.71 lakh people have been displaced due to the ethnic violence in the state.
Singh said 4,200 personnel of paramilitary personnel have reached Assam to help local administration to maintain peace and restore normalcy while 2,200 more security men will be reaching the state by this evening.
Home Ministry officials dismissed the suggestion that Assam government was slow in its action in curbing the violence which had started almost a week ago. So far around 100 rioters were arrested by security forces, they said.